HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

We're having some issues!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yvonne Page

PostSubject: We're having some issues!   Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:12 pm

We have a 5 month old female Saint, Nala. She is a lovely little (not so much) puppy but she has a couple of issues that are driving me crazy! Firstly I cannot get her house trained. She seems to think that it's ok to just piddle all over the house! Thankfully for anything more sinister she asks to get out, but she will tinkle anywhere. I've tried everything from giving her constant access to outside, crate training, putting her out every 15 minutes! Sometimes she just comes right in and pees!

Her other issue is biting. Its not malicious but she's nipping at my litte girls and because of her size it really hurts. I've got her in professional training but she's very set in her ways!

In other ways she's so good, she's perfect off the lead, recalls straight away everytime etc, but I'd really appreciate any help/advice on her little niggles! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
gina

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi Yvonne,

I curious how long have you had your puppy? I gather from you message you have not had her since a baby of 8-10 weeks?

From my personal experience you get clean saint and dirty ones regards house training my youngest has been clean in the house from the day i brought her home at 9 weeks, Bella on the other hand was at least a year old before she decided out side was the best place to pee, i like you tried everything to train her with no joy untill she decided herself one day. I was advised you have to remove all trace of smell after they have pee'd where they are not meant to any product contacting amonia will not work i was told bio washing powder was the best thing and wont damage your carpet.

This nipping / biting / mouthing is a stage every puppy goes through during teething, there is an interesting article on here somewhere about puppys learning bite inhabition this explains the reason they do it. I would advise having some chew toys readily available i found the kong exteme great, very robust and keeps them occupied for ages. When Nala starts mouthing anything or anyone she's not supposed to move her attention to something she is allowed to chew rather than trying to stop her chewing/biting at all.

This is just somethings i have learnt from personal experience and I hope you find some of this helpful.

Good Luck with your furbaby.

Gina x
Back to top Go down
http://www.tombearstbernard.com
Yvonne Page

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 am

Thank you Gina!

We've had her since she was 12 weeks old. I've persevered with everything assuming she was still just very young, although I had hoped to see some progress by now so been starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Its good to know she's not the only one who struggles with house training, it does seem for that all we can do is wait until she finally gets the idea.

I will try for more chew toys and hopefully divert her from my childrens limbs! Thanks for the tips Very Happy x
Back to top Go down
jakecorby

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 am

Our puppy is around the same age and until recently liked to chew hands rather than toys, but it is perserverence and patience that does work. He still mouths me every now and again but he tends to suck now rather than chew. Smile

As said above, everytime he went for the hands I would always have a toy near me to divert attention and gave him a great big fuss when he chose the toy and he soon picked it up after a few weeks that chewing the toy was much more rewarding for him than my hand.
Back to top Go down
Clare87

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:25 am

My saint had an issue with nipping it took time and paitence but he grew out of it and learn't it was wrong!
Every time he nipped I squeeled like I was in pain so he saw it was hurting and it's startel him to he stops what hes doing! He also use to nip by little boy as well so I got my boy to also squeel and pretend that hes crying so charlie knows that hurt and it was wrong.

I hope this helps! x
Back to top Go down
Tracy Marlow

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi,

We have two Bernards, my boy was better to toilet train than our girl. Both tried nipping when they were teething. We made sure that there were plenty of toys and diverted them to them from us. I agree with Gina, Kongs are fantastic - we put a bit of mashed up food in there and it kept both of ours well occupied!

We were recommended at puppy training to scream like it was the worst pain ever and to look away from the dog. That seemed to work for us.

Nala will get over it - it is just a stage.

Hope this helps

Tracy and Anya and Nelson xx
Back to top Go down
Yvonne Page

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Big thanks to everyone who offered advice for Nala! We got her a kong and she's much less inlcined to bite people now. Still just hanging in there with the piddling!
Back to top Go down
lora

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:01 am

Clare87 wrote:
My saint had an issue with nipping it took time and paitence but he grew out of it and learn't it was wrong!
Every time he nipped I squeeled like I was in pain so he saw it was hurting and it's startel him to he stops what hes doing! He also use to nip by little boy as well so I got my boy to also squeel and pretend that hes crying so charlie knows that hurt and it was wrong.

I hope this helps! x

Clare is spot on. She needs to learn that bites hurt and by squealing (their sibs do this) it lets them know theyve gone too far. She will outgrow it when shes done teething if you keep at it.

good luck
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We're having some issues!   

Back to top Go down

We're having some issues!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1