HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Help! Temper Tantrums and dropping on the ground.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mojo's Mom

PostSubject: Help! Temper Tantrums and dropping on the ground.    Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Mojo is 17 months old. He's pretty good with basic commands - sit, down, stand, stay etc. We're working on recall, but that's a whole other post!

Here's our issue: He's develped a charming habit of throwing himself on the ground when he doesn't want to do something - particularly when he doesn't want to go somewhere. He lays down, then rolls onto his back and pushes at you with his feet. So, you're left to pretty much wrestle him up. We hate it, but we're essentially stuck pulling him up by the scruff of his neck. He gets angry, we hate it. It's awful. Clearly, it's a limits/dominiance thing, but we don't know how to fix it.

On top of that, now, he's started snapping at us when we do it. Obviously, it doesn't feel good for him when we're physically manhandling him to get him up, but using his mouth is not ok.

We worked so hard when we was little to ensure he had good bite inhibition, and now this?

Help!
Back to top Go down
Clare87

PostSubject: Re: Help! Temper Tantrums and dropping on the ground.    Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi.
My bernard called Charlie use to do the lay on the floor and refuse to move thing (Drop, stop and flop). He still sometimes do it but not often any more. I know what you mean about trying to get them up of the floor can be very difficult as I have learnt they are very stuborn dogs. I started to teach charlie in the garden of getting up when I want him to as there are no distractions. When charlie is about to lay down I get really excitted and in a high pitch voice I say come on charlie and start to run and jump with him so he forgets what he was about to do.

When I think he is about to get distracted and about to lay down i.e. when an other dog is aproaching I have taught him to watch me so when I say charlie he looks at me and then he gets a treat, which often works.

If He already has laydown then I take a few steps make which he then stands up again and then I can get him moving again with distracting him before he has a moody at me. This has taken some time and paitence to get over this issue but I think its a case of just being more persistant than the dog.

I found with charlie if you get frustrated and try to physical remove him of the floor he will just get more stuborn which dont help the situation. so I dont touch him I just pull back on the lead take a few steps back which he then thinks we are going in different direction so he gets up and then I just change the direction I want him to walk in not the direction he wants to walk in as he use to lay down when he wants to go in a different direction to me.

I hope this helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help! Temper Tantrums and dropping on the ground.    Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 am

Ive found the best way to deal with it is like a small child .... Ignore it!! The whole manhandling thing is giving him the attention he wants, and he has the upper hand .. you have to resort to manhandling him to his feet then he grumbles because HE doesnt want to

When he drops & rolls .. just stand there .. looking around, not at him, not talking to him ... talk to each other .. but not to him! ...Like a child, Once he realises that you are no longer going to give him the normal routine & attention ... he will get bored of it.

Try putting a headcollar (Dogmatic) on if he doesnt wear one already ... this will give you head control & the upper hand.

When he stops rolling around ... go to walk back the other way & when he gets up .. lots of fuss & praise & maybe a treat ... then carry on your journey.

See if this works .. ive tried & tested it & had success Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Temper Tantrums and dropping on the ground.    

Back to top Go down

Help! Temper Tantrums and dropping on the ground.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1