HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Undershut mouth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cdianam

avatar

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-06-15
Age : 35
Location : Romania, Timisoara

PostSubject: Undershut mouth   Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi!

A friend of mine has a saint female, she is 8 months old and just discovered she has an undershot mouth. She had perfect scissors bite a month ago so I didn't know what to tell him, is it possible that this problem will correct itself in time? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000996072242&v
ourfairview
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2398
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 32
Location : Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Undershut mouth   Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 am

hopefully heather will come along and post as she knows abit more than me

i suppose if its suddenly got like this i would personally be expecting it to get worse, just a feeling???

i wouldnt think it would correct itself but have not based that on anything but a personal view

are you on facebook? there is a lady who has a saint with a undershot jaw on there ???

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Undershut mouth   Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:19 am

Sometimes a jaw can go 'under or over shot' whilst the puppy is growing. It MAY correct itself later on, however, sometimes it can be due to breeding, i.e if either of the parents or grandparents had an over or undershot mouth it can come out in the offspring, & often miss a generation.

There isn't much that can be done unfortunately, its just how the dog is programmed to grow.

Things to avoid in my own experience are allowing dogs to play 'tug of war' or pull on items that can force the jaw to misalign in this way.

Fingers crossed it comes back inline for your friend Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cdianam

avatar

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-06-15
Age : 35
Location : Romania, Timisoara

PostSubject: Re: Undershut mouth   Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:36 am

ourfairview wrote:
hopefully heather will come along and post as she knows abit more than me

i suppose if its suddenly got like this i would personally be expecting it to get worse, just a feeling???

i wouldnt think it would correct itself but have not based that on anything but a personal view

are you on facebook? there is a lady who has a saint with a undershot jaw on there ???

cheri

yes i am on facebook, can you give a link of that lady?

thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000996072242&v
cdianam

avatar

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-06-15
Age : 35
Location : Romania, Timisoara

PostSubject: Re: Undershut mouth   Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:41 am

Lanebern wrote:
Sometimes a jaw can go 'under or over shot' whilst the puppy is growing. It MAY correct itself later on, however, sometimes it can be due to breeding, i.e if either of the parents or grandparents had an over or undershot mouth it can come out in the offspring, & often miss a generation.

There isn't much that can be done unfortunately, its just how the dog is programmed to grow.

Things to avoid in my own experience are allowing dogs to play 'tug of war' or pull on items that can force the jaw to misalign in this way.

Fingers crossed it comes back inline for your friend Very Happy

The parents are ok, no problems, but i don't know anything about the grandparents although they were arbitrated and won many titles so i tend to think they are ok too confused . I hope too that she recovers, she is great with a lot of potential.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000996072242&v
Mawreddog

avatar

Posts : 811
Join date : 2009-06-05
Age : 46
Location : Llanteg, Pembrokeshire

PostSubject: Re: Undershut mouth   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Here I am LOL..
My last litter both parents had perfect bites & half of the litter had reverse scissor bites & 1 went undershot, not sure how that happened! None of these pups were ever allowed to play tug etc
They are 13 months now & I think the last changes I saw were around 10 months when a bitch went from having a level bite to a scissor, but they can go the other way.
I would rather a less than perfect bite than dodgy movement any day to be honest!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
cdianam

avatar

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-06-15
Age : 35
Location : Romania, Timisoara

PostSubject: Re: Undershut mouth   Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Mawreddog wrote:
Here I am LOL..
My last litter both parents had perfect bites & half of the litter had reverse scissor bites & 1 went undershot, not sure how that happened! None of these pups were ever allowed to play tug etc
They are 13 months now & I think the last changes I saw were around 10 months when a bitch went from having a level bite to a scissor, but they can go the other way.
I would rather a less than perfect bite than dodgy movement any day to be honest!

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. I couldn't agree with you more on the last part but unfortunately it's up to the judges if the problem persists.

Thanks a lot guys
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000996072242&v
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Undershut mouth   

Back to top Go down
 
Undershut mouth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Worming chickens via the mouth
» A Look Inside the Mouth!
» Bizarre mouth tremors
» HELP - Foaming at the mouth, vomitting, diarrhoea,
» Pink skin around mouth

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Saint bernard Healthcare-
Jump to: